Standards Gap Analysis
Standards Gap Analysis (SGA)
Many IPC member companies have expressed the need to identify costly process issues. This may include looking for a measurement of compliance to the IPC standards before investing in the qualification process. To address this need, IPC has created the IPC Standards Gap Analysis (SGA). This program is designed to enhance your operational efficiency by examining current manufacturing processes to uncover costly inconsistencies.
The program focuses on identifying problem areas in your manufacturing process.
- SMT Assembly
- PTH Assembly
- Terminal Soldering
- Wire and Cable Assembly
- Wire and Cable Testing
- Consumable Materials – solder, flux, paste, adhesives, coatings, stencils, etc.
- Procurement / Supplier Audits
- Internal Failure Analysis Labs
- Electrostatic Discharge Practices (ESD)
- Product and Component Handling, including handling moisture sensitive components and assemblies
- Lead-Free Assembly
- Training Analysis
- Operator and Inspector Activities from Receiving to Final Inspection
- Cleaning and Coating
- Rework and Repair
- Process Control Evaluation
Upon completion of the analysis, IPC will provide you with a confidential report highlighting areas where your manufacturing process can be improved to:
- Reduce defects, scrap, or rework
- Enhance the quality of finished goods
- Increase production throughput
- Improve yields
- Create the potential for cost reduction activities
There are many short and long term benefits. Conducting an SGA with IPC Validation Services will gain unparalleled insight to your manufacturing process. If knowledge is power, then consider an SGA as the first step to success.
Short term benefits include:
- Receive an export gap analysis and detailed report of your current manufacturing process
- Identify areas of immediate concern that may be leading to field failures
- Identify and discuss gap findings to determine next steps
- Evaluate the Personnel Proficiency of all manufacturing employees in the tasks to be performed
Long term benefits include:
- Prepare your manufacturing facility for an IPC Validation Services QML audit/certification
- An edge on the market with compliance to IPC standards
- Process improvement opportunities
- Increased knowledge of IPC standards requirements and using them in a manufacturing environment
- Create an opportunity for cost improvements from the gap analysis process
- Demonstrate to your customers that your employee training records up to date to the IPC standard
Working with IPC Validation Services makes you a market leader!
Let IPC help you streamline your manufacturing process by identifying areas for improvement. If you have further questions, please contact Randy Cherry, director of validation services at RandyCherry@ipc.org or 847-597-2806.